Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Interrogation of Reed Farrel Coleman


Kia ora,
Please welcome our latest victim guest, Reed Farrel Coleman. On the metal plate suspended above that puddle by wires is a block of Whittaker’s five-rolled milk chocolate, behave and the chocolate won’t fry.
In the event of an earthquake/zombie plague/or random occupation - you’ll find emergency procedures taped to the bottom of your seat. Yes, just like a floatation device. You’ll also find a Glock 17 with a full magazine.
Remember you cannot reason with zombies and it’s a head shot every time.

 Comfy?

As I’m likely to be, yes.

 What’s your favorite type of takeaway? (Yes, that means take-out in NZ speak)

Toss up between Greek and Indian. If I still lived in Brooklyn, it would be pizza. But the pizza on Long Island is usually dreadful.

Describe your current mental status.

Christ, I’m a writer. Say no more.

I know how I do what I do… but how do you do what you do?

If I knew how I did what I do then I’d stop doing it and have a career where I made some money.

Could you tell us a little bit about your latest work?  (I confess to being a little bit fan girl about having you here. I Love Moe Prager, Love him! But I’m not a stalker… because we frown upon stalking as a hobby. It’s just that I heard there’s a new Moe Prager mystery coming soon! Deep breath. Calming thoughts.)

I have two projects on the verge of their public showing. In March, DIRTY WORK, a novella featuring little person PI, Gulliver Dowd makes its debut. Gulliver, as described by Louise Penny is, “a little man with a huge heart and a huge chip on his shoulder.” In May, the penultimate Moe Prager Mystery, ONION STREET, hits the stores. It’s a prequel and tells the story of how Moe became a cop in the first place. I’m now working on the final Moe book, THE HOLLOW GIRL. By the way, I’ll take fan girls like you any day of the week. It’s an honor to be fan-girled by you. 

Do you have a favorite coffee or tea?

Any coffee will do, but I am an Earl Grey tea drinker.

 Walk us through a typical day. (Do you make sure you’re wearing your lucky underpants before you sit down to write, perhaps you prefer commando? While we’re discussing your underpants, boxers, briefs, or budgie smugglers. Inquiring minds want to know. Yes, that includes my Admins… we don’t piss off the Admins.)

Coffee, newspaper, crossword puzzle, emails, answer questions from NZ fan girl types ;-), writer, write some more, write some more, basketball, write, edit, dinner.

Who would you turn gay/straight for?

If I were a woman, I’d go gay for you without hesitation.

Who are your favorite writers?

Loaded question #1.
Classic- Chandler, Hammett, Vonnegut, Asimov, Hesse,
Poets- Wallace Stevens, TS Eliot, William Blake, John Donne
Current- Daniel Woodrell, Philip Kerr, Lawrence Block, Megan Abbott, SJ Rozan, Peter Spiegelman, Sara J Henry and a cast of twenties.

Who would you like to be when you grow up? (I’m still aspiring to be Joanna Lumley…)

A more realized version of me.

Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat, or budgie?

I don’t, but my wife and daughter  do dress p the cats. I must confess, the results are often pretty damned funny.

Describe your perfect day.

I did earlier. Just add incredible sex, a bottle of red win, and a great movie.

Who is your favorite fictitious villain? Or are you all about the hero? Who do you love to hate?

I reject the notion of heroes. I do, however, believe intensely in heroic acts. Until they turned him into a good guy, I kind of liked Dr. Evil.

Do you have any quirks?

Too many to list.

All-time favorite movie and why?

Changes all the time. Here are some that have been my favorites: Dr. Strangelove, La Dolce Vita, Clockwork Orange, The Producers(1968), The Outlaw Josie Wales, Point Blank, The French Connection, The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

Do you enjoy the editing process?

Writing is in large part the editing process. I am a write-itor. I don’t just spew the manuscript out, but intensely edit all throughout the process. I teach a class on editing for Mystery Writers of America. It’s too long to discuss here, but to be good at this, you had better make peace with editing.

If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why?

The easy answer is Paris, but I’m not sure I’d be happy there for a long stretch. I’m one of the few New Yorkers I know who loves LA, but [shrugs shoulder] I don’t know if I’d be happy there for long either. I suppose I’d move about forty miles west of where I live now and take up residence in Brooklyn of Manhattan.


What is one thing you know about New Zealand?  (Please do not mention LOTR or The Hobbit. Some of us, okay probably just me, are long over anything Tolkien and short people.)

That you Kiwi-types call lobsters bugs.

Favorite Pizza topping?

You’re asking a guy from Brooklyn this question! Good pizza needs no toppings.

What were you before you became a writer?

Existentially, nothing. But I’ve driven a truck, a cab, waited, bartended, ran an air freight company, sold cars …


What is the most random thing you have ever done?

Bought mescaline from a dealer in Washington Square Park when I was 20. Turned out to be compressed powdered sugar.

 If you’re not working, what are you most likely doing?

Playing basketball or golf. I do all the cooking in my house, too.

Who is your ultimate character?

I let you know when I find him or her.

Whiskey or Bourbon?

Bourbon by a mile.

Have you ever been to New Zealand? And if not, why not?

I have dreamed of traveling to NZ and Australia forever and will do it someday soon, but the flights a f—king killer. I want to do it right and stay for a month, not just a week or two. With kids, money has been the issue. Someday … someday …


What’s in your pockets? (Or handbag, manbag, whatever you carry your stuff in. Are you apocalypse prepared?)

Wallet, cell phone, keys. Simple. I grew up in Brooklyn, that prepares you for almost anything.

Laptop, PC, tablet?

HP laptop.

Ebook or tree book?

Tree book, though I make more money from the sales of my ebooks.

Red or white wine?

To quote another Brooklyn boy, Neil Diamond, “Red, red wine … “

Now would you like to try for the chocolate? Mind the puddles… but hurry. Power surges are common in the dungeon; you don’t want to have one hand on the metal plate containing that delicious chocolate block and a foot in a puddle...
If you very carefully reach behind you and snip that guide wire you feel… the chocolate should fall into your lap.

Can you say hi to Moe for me?

Consider it a done deal. He says hi back.




Drop by Reed's website for more information ...


He's also been known to tweet.


No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive