Friday, December 7, 2012

The Interrogation of Tara Sutherland


Kia ora,
Please welcome our latest victim guest, Tara Sutherland: photographer, dive mistress, super woman.
We have a short safety message before we begin… please listen carefully.
In the event of an earthquake/zombie plague/or random occupation - you’ll find emergency procedures taped to the bottom of your seat. Yes, just like a flotation device. You’ll also find a Glock 17 with a full magazine.
Remember you cannot reason with zombies, if you have a head shot - take it!

Comfy?
 … I think so.  Do I need to be wary?  I can drink right now can’t I?

What’s your favorite meal?
A really big steak, a really large glass of red wine and a really small salad.

Describe your current mental status.
Exhausted.  Hanging out for a holiday.  Intolerant.  I will high five the next dumb question I hear - in the face.

I know how I do what I do… but how do you do what you do?
With a lot of caffeine and wine and being surrounded by supportive people - I think. 
Actually I really don’t know.  I implode on a monthly or bi-monthly basis and think I’m losing my mind.  But I look at how many hours I worked, how many kilometres I drove, how many divers I guided ….. then I just think “have another wine Tara”.
I have a really low tolerance for bad attitudes, nasty people and situations that I am not enjoying.  They can all go jump.  I’ve got one life and its going to be brilliant!

Could you tell us a little bit about your latest work/project/dive?
I’ve got a few things on the go at the moment …......
Number one job is nuts.  Going in to Christmas the mobile network gets busier and busier so we stop making all changes about 2 weeks before Christmas.  Its usually 3 weeks before that all the Project Mangers remember this and try and force their work in before they can’t do anything.  Dorks.
My little Dive Mistress blog is supporting itself financially now - with a few sponsors and underwater photographs selling well so I am showing it some love.
And I am preparing a Search and Recovery dive course … and I have a victim - I mean student to try it out on already.

Do you have a preferred coffee or tea?
Coffee. Black. Keep it coming.

Walk us through a typical day for you. (Do you have  quirky rituals? Are lucky underpants required to get the perfect picture?)
Press snooze until the very last minute, spend far too long in the shower, put my makeup on in the car on the motorway (traffic stands still for me when I wave my mascara wand!).  Be a part of something really cool all day - New Zealand largely hates my company which is kind of weird as we’re honestly DEVOTED to making things better.  Rush out the door and either ….. teach some people how cool it is to cheat Mother Nature and breathe underwater, go in search of a sunset or date the shit out of my couch and a bottle of cider.



Hand gun or rifle?
I reckon I’d be a pretty good shot with a rifle but there’s something fast and lethal about a hand gun.

Left handed or right handed?
Right handed.

How many times a day do you check your email?
I wish I could say once an hour or even once every two but pretty much everything I do revolves around mail and what I have saved in there for reference.

Who are your favorite writers?
Jeffrey Deaver, Ken Follet, Lee Child, you chick - and just quietly ….. I love me some Nora Roberts.

Name the top four things on your bucket list.
Dive with Great White Sharks, finish my tattoo sleeve on my right arm, own and train a Siberian Husky and complete the Tongariro Crossing … and survive to tell the tale!

Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat, or budgie?
I tried putting a collar on my cat once.  He hasn’t forgotten.

Describe your perfect day.
Waking up to sunshine, consuming a cup of coffee, throwing some blankets, books, food and people in the car.  Heading off to the beach. Swimming, laughing, lazing.  Have a bonfire at night and tell scary stories.

Vampire or Zombie?
Vampire.  The non sparkly rip your freaking throat out kind.

Who is your favorite hero, fictitious or not?
This is the cheesiest answer in the world … but my hero is real.  My Mom is a bloody rockstar.  She is the epitome of deciding what needs to be done, what you want to get done and just doing it.

Tell us about your favorite place in the world.
Diving the coral reefs of Fiji.  I want to build a house down there.

Favorite music?
Depends on the mood.  Drum and bass if I’m pissy or have to do housework.  So probably Drum and bass.

Tell us about your journey.
It isn’t over!  Every day there is a new twist, turn, acceleration.  I have absolutely no freaking idea where I am going but if the direction looks a bit poop, I’m diverting!

Favorite Pizza topping?
Cheese.  And a shit tonne of it.

What is the most random thing you have ever done?
Probably learning to dive.  I didn’t think it through and it was the most scary, life changing, amazing thing.

If you’re not working, what are you most likely doing?
Drinking and talking bollocks.

Who is your ultimate hero/heroine?
I don’t know about ultimate … but Anne Boleyn is pretty kick arse.  Scored herself a king - actually she scored herself a crown and set out to make the people love her.

Whiskey or Bourbon?
Whisky.  And don’t come near me with ice!

What’s in your pockets? (Or handbag, whatever you carry your stuff in. Are you apocalypse prepared?)
EVERYTHING!  Right now;
keys, wallet, iPhone, mascara, lip gloss, philips head screwdriver, allen key set, spare Orings, paper diary, pen, pencil, gum, business cards, 2 rings and a necklace.

Laptop, PC, tablet?
Eeeek!  All of the above!  Macbook I guess.

Ebook or tree book?
Tree!  Hard cover with a gorgeous jacket.

Favorite apocalyptic scenario?
A new ice age but something we could survive.  I’d like to think we haven’t fucked things up that badly and its not all over because some grumpy man in an office somewhere hit some big red button.

Best book ever?
I still have the encyclopedia I was given when I was young.  Thats where I learned I loved ocean creatures.

Favorite type of chocolate?
I’m not chocolateist.  I like the edible kind. 



You made it!! Damn, you rock. Pie??

Tara is made of awesome, she also has a wee crush on SA Lee Davenport (who you may remember from terrorbyte, exacerbyte and flashbyte), she makes an appearance in soundbyte. :)

You can find out more about Tara in the following places:

Dive Mistress' website is;

And Tara's diary type blog is;

Thanks for dropping in Tara!! xx











No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive