Friday, December 14, 2012

The Interrogation of L.W. Wedgwood....


Kia ora,
Please welcome our latest victim guest, L.W. Wedgwood.
We have a short safety message before we begin… please listen carefully.
In the event of an earthquake/zombie plague/or random occupation - you’ll find emergency procedures taped to the bottom of your seat. Yes, just like a flotation device. You’ll also find a Glock 17 with a full magazine.
Remember you cannot reason with zombies, if you have a head shot - take it!

 Comfy?
Very.

 What’s your favorite meal?
I don’t particularly have a favorite meal, but as long as it’s spicy I love it.

Describe your current mental status.
Happy. The past year of my life has been purely dedicated to writing, and it’s impossible to express  just how happy this has made me.

I know how I do what I do… but how do you do what you do?
I just sit down and start writing. Much of the time, I have no idea what I’m going to write or where the session will take me, but something always comes. I can’t remember who said it but—“As longs as it’s written it can be fixed.” —is a quote that keeps me doing what I do.

Could you tell us a little bit about your latest work?
Redemption Kills is my latest. It’s a thriller story about an Italian businessman who tries to redeem himself for the sins of his youth. As a teenager, Dane, the protagonist in RK, is coerced into doing errands for a local crime syndicate in Genova. It turns out that these errands are bomb drops that knock out the local competition and resistance. Dane manages to ignore the evils of his deeds—he loves the money like any teenager would—but then he accidentally blows up his father and uncle. His uncle winds up dead and his father crippled. Dane, on the other hand, has a meltdown over the incident and goes on the run. The main story picks up when Dane hits his thirties. He has succeeded with everything in life, but is haunted by the ill deeds of his past. Desperately seeking to escape his guilt, he takes a shot at redemption and begins knocking off the kingpins of the crime syndicate he once worked for. The twist here is that the syndicate has gone global since Dane worked for it, and he travels to all four corners of the earth to do what he has to do. This is what makes this book so different, as there’s a heavy element of adventure throughout the story, which crosses over with detective work, assassination techniques, and an exploration of how a regular business man evolves into a cold blooded killer.

Do you have a preferred coffee or tea?
Coffee, and I like it strong and unflavored.

Walk us through a typical day for you. (Do you make sure you’re wearing your lucky underpants before you sit down to write, perhaps you prefer commando? While we’re discussing your underpants, boxers, briefs, or budgie smugglers. Inquiring minds want to know. Yes, that includes my Admins… we don’t piss off the Admins.)
Haven’t worn undies since 87. I find they break the rhythm of my day and ultimately threaten my freedom. The world would be a better place if they were outlawed. As for my day: I never rise before 10:00 am. Then comes the bathroom ritual, which takes the amount of time it takes, which is one of the joys of not having to be anywhere in a hurry. Then to breakfast: coffee, weetbix, and some kind of fruit. Over breakfast I’ll usually check emails, read all the international newspapers online, and by the time that’s done it’s usually time for my midday workout that involves an hour of weights and rowing. This is much needed, as it has replaced my powerful penchant for the booze, and without it I’d go completely mad. The rest of my afternoon usually disappears filling the blank page and marketing on the web. Evenings are filled with food and movies. I never get to sleep before 1:00 am. and I usually wake up at 4:00 am. and write until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore.

Hand gun or rifle?
HK UMP45 Machine pistol. If God had a piece this is what it’d be.

Left handed or right handed?
Both.

How many times a day do you check your email?
Somewhere between ten and thirty times, depending in what’s happening.

Who are your favorite writers?
Charles Bukowski tops my list, then Hemingway, Charles dickens, Robert Ludlum, Barry Crump, Kurt Vonnegut, and of course the much renowned New Zealand writer, Cat Connor.

Name the top four things on your bucket list.
Relax more. Ride a motorcycle across Australia. Drive the entire length of the Interamericana highway. Be a bestselling author.

Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat, or budgie? (This question never gets old… )
My dog is far too distinguished to wear pants.

Describe your perfect day.
My perfect day is doing what I now do everyday. Life is awesome, and I feel truly grateful to be living the life I want.

Vampire or Zombie?
I’m definitely a Zombie guy. The original Day Of The Dead has to be one of my all time favorite movies.

Who is your favorite hero, fictitious or not?
Hank Chinaski. I think Bukowski captures the absurdity of life so well with Hank’s character.

Tell us about your favorite place in the world.
I travelled a lot, and lived for fifteen years in Europe, Australia, and the United States, but I would have to say the my favorite place to be is right here in New Zealand where I grew up. I live in the Akatarawa mountain ranges north of Upper Hutt, and I’m surrounded by nature that’s beautiful beyond belief. 

Do you listen to music when you write, if so favorite genre… (Knowing what you write, I’m kinda expecting something epic in the music line.)
Only when I’m writing in noisy cafes; there I listen to Mozart Piano concertos.

Tell us about your journey to publication.
I struggled for years with publishers. Finally I published with IUniverse, and two months later Random House Canada asked to see my manuscript. It’s with them now, so here’s hoping.

Do you enjoy working with editors and the editorial process?
I love working with editors. A fresh set of eyes can always see so much more, and you learn so much from them. The process also opens your mind to what is most important in your writing—the stuff you have to keep and the stuff you know you must let go.

What were you before you became a writer?
My professional background is Micro-engineering. I worked with Rolex USA as one of their watchmakers for many years, and I was also lucky enough to work for a few other manufactures in Europe and Australia.

Favorite Pizza topping?
Mushrooms.

What is the most random thing you have ever done?
I walked through downtown LA dressed as a female prostitute on the way to a Pimps and Ho’s party.

 If you’re not working, what are you most likely doing?
Relaxing or spending time with my sick dad.

Who is your ultimate character?
This would be Koso, He’s Dane’s sidekick in Redemption Kills. Koso is ex British intelligence. He is an old cold war soldier who oozes character on every level with his sense of humor and his uncanny knack of getting things done. I’ve had so many comments about this guy its unbelievable, and he is so much fun to write.

Whiskey or Bourbon?
Both, and lots of it.

What’s in your pockets? (Or handbag, manbag, whatever you carry your stuff in. Are you apocalypse prepared?)
My pockets carry my wallet, phone, and yes, low and behold, a handkerchief, because I’m a little old fashioned in this department. My manbag contains my ever present MacBook Pro.

Laptop, PC, tablet?
All of the above.

Ebook or tree book?
Both.


Favorite apocalyptic scenario?
I love the 1971 Omega Man scenario. There’s something warm and cozy about the apocalyptic world Boris Sagal created in this movie.

Best book ever?
Ham On Rye, by Charles Bukowski.

Favorite type of chocolate?
Whittaker’s 72% cocoa


You made it!! Damn, you rock!















No comments:

I see you...

Blog Archive