Sunday, April 15, 2012

The interrogation of J.E.Taylor (Part Two)

Kia ora,

Please welcome our latest victim guest, J.E. Taylor.
We have a short safety message before we begin… please listen carefully.
In the event of an earthquake/zombie plague/or random occupation - you’ll find emergency procedures taped to the bottom of your seat. Yes, just like a floatation device. You’ll also find a Glock 17 with a full magazine.
Remember you cannot reason with zombies, if you have a head shot - take it!
 
 Comfy?

Sweet!  Can I play with the Glock or is it just a defense measure? J
Guns are tools not toys. Tools not toys. Am I clear? Hope you are comfy...
Yes – I’m in my comfy chair after all…

 What’s your favorite meal?
Nice Filet with bĂ©arnaise sauce and a butter soaked baked potato.  Either that or a fresh Maine Lobster.  Nevermind – I’ll just have both.  No wonder I have issues keeping a trim figure.

Describe your current mental status.
At the immediate moment – exhausted and a bit frazzled with my daughter’s early college enrollment opportunity  – we just weren’t ready for our sixteen year old to get accepted just yet.  Talk about all round shock – both sticker shock and just a big reality shock.  My baby girl is all grown up.  Holy cow – how’d that happen.   It is definitely having an effect on my writing focus of late.

I know how I do what I do… but how do you do what you do?
5 hour energy drinks and a great deal of insanity.  Not necessarily in that order.   Some would say insanity plays a major part in my drive.  I’ve got a highly demanding day job, a new e-publisher endeavor that’s gaining traction and some very talented authors and a family to boot.  In between all this, I’ve been lucky enough to have quite a few thrillers of my own published. 
 
Could you tell us a little bit about your latest work? 
Crystal Illusions is the next book in the Steve Williams series and was released on April 1, 2012 - fun date to release a killer who-done-it.  While this is tagged as a Steve Williams Novel, my favorite Fed isn’t the focal character in this book.  He does step in as the lead investigator, but this story is really about Carolyn Hastings, an Assistant D.A. in the New York City District Attorney’s office.  Here’s the official book blurb for those interested…

Assistant D.A. Carolyn Hastings has an uncanny knack for putting away criminals. With one of the best prosecution records in recent history, her future as Manhattan’s next District Attorney looks certain. But her sixth sense for winning cases threatens to work against her when she starts seeing a string of murders through the eyes of the killer.
With suspects piling up as fast as bodies, and the motives of those closest to her questionable, Carolyn doesn’t know who to trust. When the FBI assigns Special Agent Steve Williams to the case, Carolyn discloses her deepest fear - that the man she loves may be the one responsible for the city’s latest crime spree. 
The only thing Steve knows for sure is Carolyn has an inexplicable psychic connection with the killer, and all the victims have one thing in common…a striking resemblance to Carolyn Hastings.  
And he knows it’s only a matter of time before this psychopath knocks on her door.

Do you have a favorite coffee or tea? 
Nope – I don’t drink either.   I realize this is a bit odd, especially for a writer – but I’ve never acquired the taste for either coffee or tea.  

 Walk us through a typical day for you.
A typical day starts with me heading off to my ‘day’ job for eight hours, then I head home and collect my kids, feed them, run to their activities and finally settle in at home around eight at night. Check emails, cruise the networking circuit, read and respond to submissions and when I’m done with all that, I open my own work in progress and get about an hour or so of writing time before I head to bed.  Now that I’ve got titles out there, the marketing arm takes up quite a bit more of my free time – time I used to dedicate just for  writing, so I’m not as prolific as I was when I was unpublished and just pounding out manuscript after manuscript.  
 
Hand gun or rifle?
Since I’ve never shot a rifle, I’ll have to default to what I know and go with the handgun.
 
Left handed or right handed?
Right handed, but my husband is both.  J

How many times a day do you check your email?
More than I should.  While at the day job, I’d say probably three or four times.  At night, I’ve got my email open.
 
Who are your favorite writers?
Stephen King is up there along with Tom Clancy and David Balducci.  I also like Lisa Gardiner and some of the new authors I’ve found like Poppet and of course there’s Cat Connor on my list too. 

 Name the top four things on your bucket list.
Attend the Writer’s Police Academy
See one of the author’s under the Novel Concept Publishing label hit the NY Times best seller list
Travel to Australia and give one of our cover artists a big hug
See my kids graduate from college

Do you ever put pants on your dog, cat, or budgie? (This question never gets old… )
Ashamed to admit that I put a sweater on a Chihuahua once. 
 
Describe your perfect day.
Summertime – warm but not too humid – starts with a jog along the two mile stretch of Long Sands beach in York Maine, followed by a shower and then a day at the beach with the family and a great read on my kindle.  A nice lobster dinner and then hanging around the campfire with friends for the evening. 
 A close second is spending the day writing with my twelve-year-old son.  

Vampire or Zombie?
You know, I had a great idea for the next horror short that I’m toying with writing – a big what if.  What would Vampires do if Zombies took over the world?  I’m aware this doesn’t answer your question but they both have very appealing qualities to work within the horror realm.  Wouldn’t want to meet either in a dark alley though.
 
Do you listen to music when you write, if so favorite genre… (Knowing what you write, I’m kinda expecting death metal! Feel free to disappoint me.)
Sometimes – I’m usually in the family room with some benign Disney crap on the television, so when I’ve had enough of that as background noise, I plug in my IPod and jam to Nickleback and Bon Jovi and Train along with Aerosmith and Pink Floyd.  I love rock-n-roll.  Sorry to disappoint – but death metal isn’t my forte. 
 
How hard is it taking on the publishing business as a writer?
It certainly takes a bite out of my writing time, however, I do like helping others achieve their dreams so the trade off is worth it. It just means my fans will have to wait a bit longer for my next release. 

 Tell me something that you know about New Zealand?  (Please do not mention Sir Peter, LOTR, or The Hobbit. Do you have any idea how many short people are in NZ right now? It’s freaking terrifying. Seriously grow legs or get out!)
Well geez – I’m only 4’10” – does this mean I’m not welcome? L   I know New Zealand is the first place on earth to celebrate New Year’s.   I understand it is beautiful and it is on my list of places to visit along with Australia.  Just need to find the time now.
 
Favorite Pizza topping?
Pineapple
 
What is the most random thing you have ever done?
Random dancing at the Apple Store in New York City with my daughter and niece.

If you’re not working, what are you most likely doing?
Sleeping or driving my kids to all their activities. Not much time for anything else these days unless it’s the summer time, then you might find me jogging on the beach or drinking around the campfire with great neighbors. 

Who is your ultimate character?
My ultimate character – wow – that’s a tough call and I’m a bit biased toward the ones I created, so that’s where I’ll start.  It’s a tossup between Ty Aris (a.k.a. Chris Ryan) and Steve Williams.  Ty because he has a  dark side that he is forever trying to ignore and now that he’s Steve’s guardian angel, it’s even more fun to see what he comes out with.  Steve because not only is he one hot special agent, but he’s fun to challenge and now that he’s supercharged, he’s much more fun to mess with.

What do your kids think of their mom being a writer?
I’ve achieved cool status.  Of course, I never wandered very far from that being the fun parent and all – but they think it’s an inspiration to see me reach for a dream and achieve it.  And now, I’m writing a YA series with my son – and his ideas are fantastic.  Writing with him is probably way more cool for me than it is for him, but he actually asked if we’d still be writing together when he goes to college.  How phenomenal is that?

Look for Don’t Fear The Reaper – Book One of The Death Chronicles in July of 2012!

Whiskey or Bourbon?
Yuk and yuk.  Not much of a drinker anymore and even when I was, I stuck with the fru-fru drinks like daiquiris or wine coolers and once in a while I’d get crazy and have some vodka in my cranberry juice. 

 Have you ever been to New Zealand? And if not, why not?
No.  I’ve never really been out of the US – except for Bermuda on our honeymoon – but it is something on my to do list, if for nothing else to drop in on you and toast your much deserved success.  J

 What’s in your pockets? (Or handbag, whatever you carry your stuff in. Are you apocalypse prepared?)
Lately all I’ve been carrying is my little coach credit card holder and my cell phone.  Go light.   Makes for a quick getaway – so not so much in the preparation game – but it will never get caught on a fence. 
 
Laptop, PC, tablet?
Laptop baby!

 Ebook or tree book?
Lately – Kindle hands down.  I still like the feel of holding one of my own books – just to validate it is real – but other than that, I’ve veered away from tree books. 

 Favorite apocalyptic scenario?
Mega virus.  I’ve got a story that outlines a mega virus – however, the science is flawed.  Still –it explores the terror of thinking you’re the last person on earth…

 Best book ever?
The Stand – (yup – mega virus – I sense a theme here…)

 Favorite type of chocolate?
Dark chocolate.  If it’s filled with raspberry filling or cherries, all the better.

 You made it!! Damn, you rock. Pie??

 Pie? Is it Apple Pie?  A-la mode?  J

Thanks for having me Cat – as always, it’s been fun.

JET.

 J.E. Taylor is a writer, a publisher, an editor, a manuscript formatter, a mother, a wife and a business analyst, not necessarily in that order.  She first sat down to seriously write in February of 2007 after her daughter asked:
“Mom, if you could do anything, what would you do?”
From that moment on, she hasn’t looked back and now her writing resume includes six+ published novels along with several short stories on the virtual shelves including a few within eXcessica anthologies.
In addition to being co-owner of Novel Concept Publishing (
www.novelconceptpublishing), Ms. Taylor also moonlights as an Assistant Editor of Allegory (www.allegoryezine.com), an online venue for Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror. She has been known to edit a book or two and also offers her services judging writing contests for various RWA chapters.
She lives in Connecticut with her husband and two children and during the summer months enjoys her weekends on the shore in southern Maine. 

Visit her at www.jetaylor75.com


2 comments:

JETaylor said...

Thank you for having me today Cat - as always - it's been fun, now I need to sleep off that truth serum. ;)
JET

Cat Connor said...

Glad you had fun! ;-)

I see you...

Blog Archive